Looking to reduce your allergy symptoms and start feeling better? Located in Amarillo, Texas, Northwest Urgent Care can help provide relief from common allergies through the work of our medical professionals.
What are allergies?
Allergies are a common condition in which your immune system reacts to a foreign substance. It’s also important to note that allergies can also affect all ages.
Signs of allergies include:
- Red, swollen itchy eyes
- Nasal congestion
- Hives (red raised patches on the skin)
- Skin rashes
Treatment at an urgent care center can help relieve your symptoms and clear up your allergies sooner rather than later. You don’t have to wait and suffer until they eventually go away.
What are the types of allergies?
Allergies are very common, and almost everyone suffers from allergies occasionally.
Different times of the year can also cause allergies. Seasonal allergies to grass, weeds and tree pollen and molds come and go with the seasons. For seasonal allergies, over-the-counter drugs or a nasal spray can help provide some relief.
Pollen allergies symptoms can include:
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose, eyes, ears, and mouth.
- Swelling around the eyes.
Other common allergy causes include the shed skin cells of pets (cat and dog dander) and food allergies, such as peanuts or milk, that can cause diarrhea, cramps and vomiting.
Be aware of the dangerous signs of anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction with hives or itching all over, wheezing or shortness of breath, hoarseness or tightness in the throat and tingling in the hands, feet, lips or scalp. If you suspect this could be happening, please dial 9-1-1. Anaphylactic reactions are life-threatening and need immediate medical help.
What causes allergies?
Once the body is exposed to an allergen, allergies occur when the body begins to produce specific antibodies against it. These antibodies activate mast cells which are located throughout the body with some higher concentrations in the airways, intestines, skin and elsewhere. These cells release histamine (along with some other chemicals) which causes most of the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
What are common allergens?
- Allergies to Animals
- Sneezing and a runny nose are the most common symptoms for pet allergies.
- Allergies to Dust Mites
- Microscopic dust mites trigger some of the more common indoor allergic reactions.
- Allergies to Foods
- Food allergens can result in slight swelling or can be extremely dangerous, resulting in death such as a peanut allergy. Managing food allergies is key in people who have these.
- Allergies to Mold allergies
- Symptoms for a mold allergy includes cough, itchy, watery eyes and hives. This type of allergy can cause long-term problems if the mold is not addressed.
- Allergies to Plants
- With symptoms such as runny nose, itchy eyes or a cough, grass and weed pollens can make going outside uncomfortable and itchy thanks to pollen allergies.
- Drug Allergies
- A drug allergy is the abnormal reaction of the immune system to a medication. The most common signs and symptoms of a drug allergy are hives, rash or fever.
- Latex Allergies
- A latex allergy is an immune system reaction to proteins in natural rubber latex. Symptoms of a latex allergy can include minor skin irritation to life-threatening shock.
- Skin Allergies
- Symptoms of a skin allergy can be hives or swelling deep in the skin. Skin reactions can be caused by sunscreens, bug sprays, fragrances and cleaning supplies.
Other Common Allergy Symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Tightness in throat
- Tingling hands
Remember: If you are experiencing life-threatening allergy symptoms, such as an anaphylactic reaction, please call 9-1-1 immediately.
Urgent Care and Allergies Treatment
While common, allergies can be frustrating, especially if they are severe or occur frequently. An urgent care center can help clear up your annoying allergy symptoms. We can diagnose and treat your allergies without the inconvenience of trying to schedule an appointment with your primary physician.
At Northwest Urgent Care, we can diagnose your allergy, treat you for symptoms and help determine a plan of care. Contact us today to start feeling better, sooner.
Contact Us Now
Northwest Urgent Care, located in Amarillo, Texas, is open seven days a week with convenient daytime and evening hours for patients who may need urgent care treatment.
Our team is here to help provide patients with various treatment options to help you with your allergies. Walk-in or make a reservation online.